- We ride on Dartmoor in all weather and inevitably, across all types of terrain. Eight years ago Maria came and spent an hour with each horse getting just the right saddle (we have a quarter horse and a part bred Arab with very different needs), and making sure the fit was perfect. The saddles have stayed in excellent shape and remained comfortable for horses and riders so when I got a new young Arab the obvious place to go was back to The Western Saddler to find a western saddle to fit. Maria is a joy to work with, reassuringly concerned to get the detail right and explaining clearly how the fit is specific to my horse’s shape (it was a real eye-opener to realise that my slight young Arab is wider across her shoulders and rib cage than my stocky older quarter horse). I am confident my new horse will be as comfortable in her saddle as our others have been for the past eight years and can’t recommend Maria, her saddles and her saddle fitting highly enough.
- Thank you so much Maria for all of your help. It’s beautiful and so comfortable (Patrick agrees with that part too). Hoping to spend many hours across many miles in it.
- I am very happy with the care you have taken to make sure everything was correctly fitting, particularly as he is a native pony and required custom made saddle, headstall and breast collar. May I say your care was exemplary and he is working very well.
- I contacted Maria with regard to fitting a western saddle for my Irish cob. She arrived with a car-load of saddles and trees and was very thorough in making sure the fit was just right, explaining everything to me as she went – her knowledge is phenomenal! It took a while but we did find a perfect fit. Maria showed me how to saddle up and watched me riding, checking the fit of the saddle while my horse was moving to see if any adjustments were needed. My saddle was made to order, along with the cinch and saddle pad, and a few weeks later I became the proud owner of a beautiful Pullman saddle with acorn tooling, ostrich seat, with stirrups and conchos engraved to match the tooling. It really is stunning and has been much admired. Maria’s enthusiasm and expertise were invaluable throughout the whole process, and I would not hesitate to recommend her services most highly.
- Maria has made my horse Joe a very happy boy!!! So very pleased with his made to measure western saddle…. it’s so nice to be able to tack him up and him not pull a face… it’s so very comfortable for me too and not so heavy to lift up onto him… teamed with a beautiful saddle pad and cinch.
- I can recommend both the saddle and Marias fitting. I have had mine nearly two years now and done around 200 hours riding in it and it is so comfortable for both Lulu and I. Used with the Mattes pad it fits perfectly. Although this is the expensive option, it is worth it. I have spent so much on secondhand saddles which did not fit correctly over the years. I would not use any other fitter or pad.
- I recently purchased two ‘World Class Equine Deluxe Western Saddle Cases’ from The Western Saddler and I couldn’t be more pleased! These products are top quality and the choice of colours is brilliant, the option of embroidery is great too! I also purchased a ‘World Class Equine Deluxe Blanket bag’ and a ‘World Class Equine Chap bag’ – the same high quality as the saddle covers and I’m extremely pleased.
Maria’s communication has been brilliant – the ordering of the items was simple and Maria managed expectations in relation to delivery (from USA), I am really very impressed with all these products – another great reason to order great products from The Western Saddler – highly recommended!!!
Abby Jeeves 23/04/2014
- “I bought my first Quarter Horse this year, a beautiful black mare called Vandys Orions Bar. This was my first step into the world of western riding and I wanted to start out right. With lots of recommendations I called Maria out to fit Vandy. Maria came a long way with a car full of saddles to try. She explained to me how a western saddle is different to English and the importance of a good fit. She took the time to chat to me about our needs and assess Vandy’s shape, watching us ride and how the saddle fitted while in motion. Maria is very knowledgeable and approachable and goes out of her way to help. I would recommend her to anyone.”
Lesley-Anne Rayner 19/12/2013
- “I bought my first QH in April 2012 and, through a recommendation from a trainer, I contacted Maria at TWS for a made to measure Western saddle. Maria was really helpful, she travelled a long distance to meet me and spent time trying different types/sizes of trees on my mare. Western saddle fit seems to be a bit of a mine field but Maria explained the principals clearly and I felt confident with her advice. My saddle was made to order, I chose the colour of the leather, the silver detailing on the skirt and it was great that I could have a non standard Equiflex tree fitted. 2013 has been my first show season and me and my gorgeous QH mare have enjoyed every minute, she’s much fitter, i’m much more knowledgeable than I was 18 months ago and I would recommend TWS for your saddlery needs”.
Abby Jeeves 02/12/2013
- “I have no hesitation in recommending Maria, she has fitted both saddles for my quarter horses and has always given me a great service. She is always available to help when the fit needs some adjusting as my horses grow and change. The saddles and pads are lovely too!!”
- “Maria came out to help me with the fit of my existing saddle, which I had been riding with my horse in for a few weeks. She was able to show me how the saddle was not a terrible fit, but also that it could be improved by using a shimmed saddle pad to balance it out and lift it off my horse’s loins. My mare immediately started carrying herself more correctly and found it much easier to bend on the circle. Maria’s understanding equine physiology and how the shape and structure of the saddle interact with the horse in movement equip her very well for saddle fitting and I strongly recommend her.”
Ben Moxon 10/09/2013
- “I recently asked Maria to come to my yard to measure up and fit a western saddle for my American Quarter Horse. This was my first every experience with having a western saddle fitted and I am so pleased that I found Maria to do this for me. I received a fantastic service, both before and during the fitting, with an amazing product, and at a very respectable price too. What I am really pleased with is the on going after care that she offers too. Thank you so much Maria, from myself and Sparky.”
Barry Collyer 19/05/2013[Top]