Why Choose a Sheepskin Pad?
Is made from lambskins selected after our own specifications with extreme dense and resilient wool**
- – Since lambskin has an open structure, air can flow between the fibres, therefore it equalizes tempe-
rature, it is ideal in summer and winter
- – Can absorb up to 8-times its wool weight in moisture before it feels wet
- – The resilience of the wool is ideal for pressure distribution
The upright standing wool fibres can slide against each other, therefore absolutely no friction or chafing nor rubbing on the horses skin***
Pressure itself is not such a problem, but pressure with lateral movement can cause major discomfort and damage!
Lambskin, because of the afore-mentioned structures, allows development of the muscles
There are plenty of NEOPRENE lined equestrian products in the market. The fact, that NEOPRENE, except for its shock absorbency is one of the most unqualified materials concerning heat accumulation! Dr. David Marlin from England, who owns the only (private) test institute for horse equipment has proofed this fact insofar, that specifically NEOPRENE lined horse boots can heat up to the extent, that the cell structure of the tendons can be damaged!
Eventually NEOPRENE is specifically used for its fantastic isolating properties (for instance for diving suits)
** „MERINO SKINS“ are generally heavily advertised as the ultimate material for horse products.
MERINO is a special breed, known for its extremely fine wool. For the production of very fine and soft yarns this wool is uniquely qualified. For high performance equestrian products and other technical products the resilience and density are the major requirements.
Therefore MATTES-Lambskins are strictly selected after these specifications out of “crossbreds” by sorters trained by us at the countries of origin. These have a medium fine, extremely resilient and dense wool.
*** In contrast to foams, gel, felt and other materials there is no friction on the skin, because the wool fibres glide against each other, thus avoiding any friction. Pressure alone is not as dangerous as pressure with friction
MATTES®-QUILT and -Design
- – High quality twill fabric, as used to produce heavy duty work clothing
- – The inside is a double laminate of POLYFLEX® (deep needled polyester felt) and polyester wadding
– this construction is absolutely air permeable
- – No foam, neoprene or gel or similar material!
- – MATTES® Quilt-Design results in a quilt that is firm enough to keep its shape. It does not get lumpy
and it does not turn limp. Thus excellent washing and drying properties. Even after many washings
no breaking of the laminate along the seams
- – Anatomical correct shape, high wither cut, hence no pressure in the wither area
Results in combination
A functional, high quality product, though highly fashionable with a choice of more than 25 quilt-, lambskin and piping colours Simple installation and correct positioning under the saddle because of the padded front trim and adjustable front billets